- This event has passed.
Warehouse Fork lift Fire, Sprinkler Activation Runcorn
Image credit Cheshire Fire Rescue Service
- Fire Rescue Service; Cheshire Fire & Rescue Service (CFRS)
- Incident; Fire
- When; 10 February 2023
- Time of call; 06:10
- Where, Cheshire
- Occupancy; Warehouse
- Automatic fire suppression System; Commercial sprinkler system
CFRS have reported the following 2 pump fire involving the premises Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) powered forklift truck within a warehouse resulting in the activation of the premises commercial sprinkler system.
- On arrival crews identified that the premises
- Emergency action plan had been implemented
- Activation of the premises sprinkler system
- The source of the fire was identified to involve the premises LPG powered forklift truck located within the warehouse
- 1x sprinkler head actuated immediately above the seat of the fire containing/controlling the fire prior to the arrival of CFRS
- Allowing crucial time for the officer in charge to implement their operational tactical plan
- Breathing apparatus crews were committed to extinguishing the fire suppressing remaining hot spots with firefighting media, 1 x jet.
- Enquires are ongoing to identify the cause of the fire
- This incident clearly demonstrates the benefits of sprinklers for fires involving cylinders.
- A fire where a cylinder is confirmed to be involved has the potential to be devastating.
- When exposed to extreme heat gas cylinders are at a risk of failure and may rapture due to over pressure. Increasing the risk to firefighter safety when tackling fires where cylinders are involved.
- It is paramount that fires involving cylinders are immediately cooled with copious amounts of water cooling the cylinder reducing the risk of rupture clearly demonstrated by the activation of the sprinkler system.
This is the second incident reported to Sprinkler Saves Uk involving an LPG powered forklift truck on both occasions the sprinkler system activated controlling, containing the fire clearly demonstrating the inclusion of fire sprinklers
- Prevent major financial and equipment losses for UK Businesses
- Offer business owners technology which reduces risk to life and degree of damage caused in the event of a fire
- Increase resilience to fire incidents controlling/extinguishing a fire before the arrival of the FRS
- Reduce the impact from fire on business allowing the business to be back up and running within a short period of time
- On this occasion it is reported that the estimated value of damage due to the fire was up to £10,000 with only 1 business day lost due to the fire
The images of the incident reinforce
- Fire damage contained to the forklift truck
- No visible fire damage to the racking or palletised goods
- Water released from the sprinkler head containing/controlling the fire, cooling the LPG
A similar incident involving a fork lift fire was caught on video demonstrating the effectiveness of a sprinkler system extinguishing the fire before the arrival of the fire rescue service. Click here to open
Video Credit Tyne & Wear FRS
- BAFSA, Sprinkler Saves Annual Review
- Cheshire Fire Rescue Service
- Gateshead, Warehouse Sprinkler Save