- This event has passed.
Automatic Fire Suppression Watermist Activation: School
- Fire Rescue Service; Kent Fire Rescue Service (KFRS)
- Incident; Educational building fire
- When; 28/02/2023
- Where, Hawkhurst, Kent
- Type of Premises; School
- Automatic fire suppression System: Low Pressure Watermist System designed and installed to BS8489
The above-mentioned incident has been reported resulting in the activation of the premises watermist system.
The premises consists of a co-educational nursery, pre-prep and prep preparatory school for children aged 3 to 13. The fire took place within a two-storey building containing 2x design, technology workshops on the ground floor with 4 additional classrooms on the first floor.
- During a workshop school lesson, a fire broke out involving a laser cutter.
- Activating the premises fire alarm system, nearest water mist nozzle adjacent to the fire.
- The school emergency plan was implemented resulting in the school being evacuated.
- The fire was contained, controlled, and extinguished by the activation of one watermist nozzle head within the compartment of origin.
- The watermist system was isolated by maintenance staff following assessment the fire had been extinguished preventing water collateral damage
This system actuation ensured that:
- Damaged caused by the fire and subsequent firefighting actions by the FRS was minimal.
- Students were able to return to the premises within an hour following the close of the incident.
- The classroom involved with the fire was able to be reoccupied the next day following the reinstallation of the watermist system and completion of minor cosmetic repairs.
Further information about watermist systems is contained in the BAFSA publication BIF 9
- British Automatic Fire Sprinkler Association, Sprinkler Saves Annual Review 2021/22
- Greater London Review of Fire Sprinklers
- Water mist systems for protection of buildings BIF 9
- Nottingham School Fire Sprinkler activation