- This event has passed.
London Tall Building Residential Sprinkler Activation
February 1 @ 11:26 am - 12:26 pm
- Fire Rescue Service; London Fire Brigade (LFB)
- Incident; Fire
- When; 1 February 2023
- Time of call; 11;26
- Where, Thamesmead
- Occupancy; Residential block of apartments (10 or more stories)
- Automatic fire suppression system; Residential sprinkler system
LFB have reported the above-mentioned incident resulting in the activation of the premises residential sprinkler system.
The premises, Residential block of apartments of 12 stories, incorporating a range of 2- and 3-bedroom apartments with a podium garden onsite concierge.
- On arrival crews identified that the fire was within the hallway of a second-floor apartment
- Two concealed sprinkler heads actuated extinguishing the fire.
- 5% of the apartment was damaged by fire, with no injuries reported.
- The cause of the fire is believed to have been accidental involving incense oil burner
- Firefighting actions, breathing apparatus crews committed with one jet, water supply via wet riser.
This incident demonstrates once again the benefits of installing sprinklers within residential tall buildings for firefighter safety.
- Rapidly reducing the rate of production of heat and smoke allowing the fire officer crucial time to implement the operational tactical plan.
- Allowing firefighters to complete search and rescue operations by limiting fire development, which significantly reduces the risk of flashover.
- Integrity of the means of escape, maintained.
- Fire contained within the compartment of origin.
- This incident demonstrates that a correctly designed and installed sprinkler system can detect, raise the alarm and control or in this case extinguish a fire at an early stage of development and activate an alarm.
- Protecting firefighters
- Protecting, reducing risk to life
- Protecting property