- This event has passed.
Chip Pan Sprinkler Save Wales
29 December 2021 @ 2:00 am - 3:00 pm
Image, credit RSP Fire Sprinkler Systems
- FRS; South WalesFire and Rescue Service (SWFRS)
- Date of Incident; 29 December 2021
- Time of incident; 02:00
- Location; Tonypandy,Rhondda
- Occupancy; single private dwelling (House)
- Type of incident; Chip pan fire
- Location of fire; Kitchen
- Domestic sprinkler system
- 1 x Concealed sprinkler head actuated
RSP Fire Sprinkler Systems have reported the above-mentioned Incident involving a chip pan fire extinguished before the arrival of SWFRS
Outcome of incident
- Fire confined to compartment of origin
- Flash over prevented
- Safety of fire crews reinforced
- Carbon emissions reduced
- On arrival SWFRS, isolated the sprinkler isolation valve
- Within one hour off call, the sprinkler engineer was in attendance with the system recommissioned the following day
- The outcome/benefit of this approach damage kept to a minimum
- This incident confirms once again the benefit of sprinklers for domestic/residential property fires involving chip pan fires.
- Reinforced following fire trials completed by the Fire Protection Association on behalf for the Department of communities and local government.
- Confirming that sprinklers will prevent destructive cooking fires involving deep fat frying with a standard residential sprinkler head operating at 49 litres/minute.
- Therefore, any system installed to BS9251 will have the same outcome, subject to the distance of the sprinkler head from the cooking hob and the height of the ceiling
- Fire statistical data collated from incidents attended by fire and rescue service involving dwellings for the financial year 2019/20, 1494 incidents took place involving chip pan fires
Previous recorded saves involving chip pan incidents