- This event has passed.
Student Halls of Residence Activation Stratford
- Fire Rescue Service; London Fire Brigade (LFB)
- Incident; Fire
- When; 11 January 2023
- Where, Stratford
- Time of call: 14:27
- Use of premises; Resident halls of residence
- Location of incident: Room
- Fixed installation; Automatic fire suppression system (AFSS)
LFB have reported the above-mentioned incident involving a relatively small fire caused by smoking within a student hall of residence of 25 floors.
The flat fire was extinguished by the actuation of one concealed sprinkler head, no injuries were reported with 500 persons evacuating the premises in accordance with the evacuation strategy simultaneous evacuation.
The Cube Student Accommodation Fire
The danger of student accommodation fires cannot be underestimated as this was clearly demonstrated following the fire in Bolton involving the premises known as the ‘Cube’ November 2019. The speed with which the fire took hold and the devastating impact it had on the building was shocking. The Greater Manchester Fire Rescue Service (GMFRS) press release states that due to the full and immediate evacuation of the premises many lives were saved.
Full details on the incident are contained in the GMFRS Cube Incident Report, it should be noted sprinklers were not fitted.
The previous reported activation involving a fire within a student hall of residence took place at Wembley on the 2 April 2022, involving a communal kitchen fire on the second floor of a student accommodation block resulting in the evacuation of 190 people.
Five Sprinkler heads activated containing/controlling the fire to room of origin, on arrival operational crews wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire using one jet.
Identifying once again the clear benefits of installing sprinklers in residential tall buildings.