- This event has passed.
Bolton Restaurant Sprinkler Activation
January 23 @ 1:20 am - 3:20 pm
Bolton Fire Sprinkler Activation
- Fire Rescue Service; Greater Manchester Fire Rescue Service (GMFRS)
- Incident; Fire
- When; 23 January 2023
- Time of call; 01:20
- Where, Bolton
- Occupancy; Restaurant
- Automatic fire suppression System; Fire Sprinklers
GMFRS, have reported the above-mentioned incident resulting in the activation of the premises commercial sprinkler system
- 3 x Pump fire with pumping appliances attending from Bolton Central and one from Bolton North
- On arrival operational crews identified that the premises sprinkler system actuated extinguishing the fire located on the ground floor of the premises
- 2 x sprinkler heads actuated
- Operational crews wearing breathing apparatus extinguished remaining hot spots
- The cause of the fire is currently under investigation
- No injuries were reported
The Bolton News reported that the incident was a suspected arson attack, with police enquires ongoing
Disappointingly reference is made to water egress caused by the sprinkler system following activation, it should be noted.
- This incident was a suspected arson attack
- Two sprinkler heads actuated due to the predetermined temperature of the head being reached.
- The fire was extinguished before the arrival of GMFRS
- Preventing a minor small fire from accelerating into a major fire
- Minor disruption to the business
- Once it has been confirmed to the Officer in Charge that the fire has been extinguished the sprinkler system will be isolated, to achieve this the fire rescue service require the appropriate information to interact with the sprinkler system.
It is best practice that owners or managers for any premises provide up-to-date plans/information allowing key fire safety systems including the location of sprinkler isolation valves for sprinkler systems to be immediately available allowing Fire Rescue Services to interact with these systems on their arrival.
Further guidance can be found in
- BS EN 12845, Signs, notices, and information