- This event has passed.
Specialised Housing Sprinkler Activation London
21 April 2022 @ 12:36 am - 1:39 pm
- Fire Rescue Service; London Fire Brigade (LFB)
- LFB Resources; Three pumping appliances
- Date of incident; 21 April 2022
- Location; Hackney, Pedro Street
- Purpose group; Residential
- Use of property; Specialised Housing
- Time of call; 12:36
- Time of stop; 13:39
- Incident; Fire
- Location of Incident; Kitchen
- Automatic Fire Suppression System (AFSS); Residential sprinkler system
LFB have reported the above-mentioned incident that clearly identifies the benefits of installing a residential sprinkler system as part of a holistic approach protecting the most vulnerable residents of our community
- On arrival operational crews identified a fire within part of a kitchen in a four roomed flat on the second floor of a three-storey specialized housing scheme.
- The scheme manager was alerted to a fire within the kitchen located within a flat on the second floor.
- The residential sprinkler system actuated resulting in two heads operating controlling/containing the fire prior to the arrival of operational crews
- Fire, controlled/containing prior to the arrival of operational crews by the premises suppression system
- 30% of the flat damaged by fire
Cause of the fire
- Accidental involving an electrical appliance kettle
- Residents in these types of premises are often some of our most vulnerable people in our community:
- With physical or cognitive impairment present increased fire risk
- Their ability to react to fire and/or an alarm
- Ability to escape a fire
- This incident clearly identifies the benefits of installing suppression for these type of premises
- In Scotland and Wales all new build specialised housing homes are required to have sprinklers fitted.
- This incident clearly identifies the benefits of installing sprinklers protecting our most vulnerable residents from fire.
- Further information can be found on sprinklers in the National Fire Chiefs Council, Specialised Housing Guide
- British Automatic Fire Sprinkle Association, video extinguishing a chip pan fire
- LFB, press release
- NFCC, Specialised Housing Guide
- LFB Press release, information supplied by LFB