- This event has passed.
Ipswich Shopping Centre Sprinkler Activation
February 28 @ 1:30 am - 3:30 pm
- Fire Rescue Service; Suffolk Fire & Rescue Service (SFRS)
- Incident; Fire
- When; 28 February 2023
- Time of call; 01:30
- Where; Ipswich
- Occupancy; Shopping centre
- Automatic Fire Suppression System; Commercial sprinkler system
SFRS have reported the following incident involving a retail shopping centre resulting in the activation of the premises commercial sprinkler system.
- Commercial kitchen fire
- 2x sprinkler heads actuated.
- Containing/controlling and extinguishing the fire prior to the arrival of SFRS
- The benefit of which contained the fire to the room of origin.
- Operational crews identified that the cause of the fire was due to a dehumidifier electrical appliance.
- The sprinkler isolating valve for the activated sprinkler zone, isolated by SFRS following confirmation that the fire had been extinguished.
- The benefit of which allowed.
- The remaining zones within the premises to remain online.
- Preventing water egress effecting other areas of the premises
- Within a short period of time the sprinkler engineer reinstated, serviced, tested the sprinkler system.
- Is paramount ensuring the premises fire safety systems are operable in the event of a fire including sprinklers, fire alarm system, dry/wet risers, smoke extraction units and fire curtains
- To highlight this, London Fire Brigade published an open letter in 2020, to those responsible for fire safety in shopping centres. Highlighting the importance of maintaining fire safety systems including the premises sprinkler system
Business Continuity, this incident clearly demonstrates the inclusion of fire sprinklers.
- Prevent major financial and equipment losses for UK Businesses
- Offer business owners technology which reduces risk to life and degree of damage caused in the event of a fire
- Increase resilience to fire incidents controlling/extinguishing a fire before the arrival of the FRS
- Reduce the impact from fire on business allowing the business to be back up and running within a short period of time