- This event has passed.
Two Hotel Fires, Two Different Outcomes
- Fire Rescue Service; London Fire Brigade
- Incident; Electrical fire
- Date of Incident; 25 July 2023
- TOC; 17:34
- Where; London
- Location of fire; Sauna Room
- Use of premises; Hotel
LFB have reported the above-mentioned fire involving a hotel of 9 floors resulting in the activation of the commercial premises sprinkler system.
- One sprinkler head activated containing, controlling the fire before the arrival of the fire service.
- Reducing, C02 emissions, water consumption by the LFB
- The sprinkler system was interfaced with the fire detection, fire alarm system allowing the appropriate emergency action/response to be implemented.
- Fire spread was limited to the item first ignited.
- Investigations are ongoing to the cause of the fire, which is reported to involve electrical wiring, cabling.
This incident proves once again the installation of a sprinkler system prevents.
- Major financial losses ensuring, that if a fire occurs it is only a minor inconvenience.
- Preventing major losses with businesses operational within a short period of time.
When you compare this to the Brighton, Royal Albion Hotel Fire in July 2023 the outcome was so much different.
- 15 Pump fire requiring 2 aerial appliances.
- Support required from neighbouring FRS including LFB.
- Incident resourced continuously in excess of 36 hours.
- Complex fire due to the construction of the building, very high winds.
- Severe property damage to the Grade 11 listed building.
- Major ongoing traffic disruption in Brighton following the fire due to the closure of the main coast road allowing the dangerous façade to be partially demolished
Devastating consequences for the owners of the business
- Even where the company has comprehensive insurance it offers limited protection against all the disruption
- Premises ceases trading while extensive repairs are completed which will take considerable time
- Potential job losses, loss of business
- Impact on business reputation
Pictures speak a thousand words, if sprinklers had been fitted would we have seen a different outcome?
Did you know , there is no requirement in ADB for the installation of sprinklers in new built hotels regardless of height
- Sprinkler Saves Annual Review 2022/23
- London Fire Brigade
- Sprinklers in Hotels, BAFSA Information File