- This event has passed.
London Flat Fire Controlled/Contained by Sprinkler System
July 27 @ 11:30 pm - 11:58 pm
- Fire Rescue Service; London Fire Brigade (LFB)
- Incident; Fire
- Date of Incident; 27 July 2023
- Time of call; 22:36
- Time of stop; 23:58
- Where; London, Ilford
- Location of fire; Room
- Use of premises; Purpose built Flat 10 or more stories.
LFB have reported the above-mentioned fire resulting in the activation of the residential sprinkler system.
- 10-storey purpose built residential block of flats
- Comprising 167 private residential units
- BS9251 Category 2.
- Number of heads 454 heads.
- Coverage flats only.
- Water supply, teeing off from a 42mm shared boosted riser.
- Variation of pipes ranging from 20mm-42mm pipes where used to successfully to reduce the hydraulic demand requirements for the combined system.
- 4 Pump fire requiring 25 firefighters mobilised from Ilford, Stratford and East Ham Fire Stations
- On arrival crews identified the fire was located within a five roomed flat on the ground floor
- Contained, controlled by the activation of the sprinkler system.
- Breathing apparatus crews were committed using a main jet to extinguish the remaining hot spots.
- It is reported that the sprinkler system was interfaced with the fire detection, fire alarm system allowing the appropriate emergency action/response to be implemented.
- Investigations are ongoing regarding the cause of the fire.
- No injuries were reported.
This incident proves once again the installation of a life safety residential sprinkler system.
- Saves lives, prevents injuries.
- Contains/controls the fire preventing flashover.
- Minimises fire damage.
- Ensuring, that if a fire occurs it is only a minor inconvenience.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said:
“The numbers of buildings in London with sprinklers systems is still very low and we would like to see this increase. Automatic Fire Suppression Systems, like sprinklers, alongside other fire safety measures can greatly reduce the impact of fires on people, property, homes, and communities.
“Sprinklers are not a luxury – they save lives and also reduce risk to the firefighters who have to tackle the fires.”
Did you know
In 2021/2022, purpose-built high rise residential blocks of flats of 10 or more storeys accounted for 69² fires within the UK where sprinklers were present and operated reinforcing that sprinkler systems are very effective when they operate within tall buildings.
• 52% Effective in controlling the fire.
• 39% Effective in extinguishing the fire.
- Sprinkler Saves Annual Review 2022/23
- BAFSA, Fire Sprinklers Greater London Review 2018-2021
- London Fire Brigade Ilford press release
- LFB press release
- Sprinklers Direct website
² FOI Requests for Incident Recording System Data relating to primary fires attended by FRSs in which sprinklers were present for England, Scotland, and Wales for the financial year 2021/22