- This event has passed.
Sprinklers Suppress London Shopping Centre fire
9 September 2021 @ 2:46 am
- Date of incident: 9 September 2021
- Time of incident : 02:46 hours
- London Fire Brigade (LFB) resources: 4 Fire Appliances
- Location of fire : Commercial unit
- Premises type:Shopping Centre
- Location: Shepherds Bush
- Cause of fire : Failure of a capacitor within a fridge compressor compartment.
- The LFB have reported in a press release, the above mentioned incident involving the activation of the sprinkler system in a commercial unit.
The shop was fitted with a sprinkler system which activated 5-10 sprinkler heads suppressing the fire until firefighters arrived at the scene. Only a small part of the shop was damaged by fire. No injuries are reported.
Station Officer Gavin Jones was at the scene, he said:
“This fire highlights the clear benefits of sprinklers to businesses and we would urge all companies and business owners to install them.
“Thanks to the sprinkler activating it helped control the fire spread and limited fire damage.”
It is a fact:-
- Fires have a significant impact on business continuity
- Leading to business closures
- Large impact on fire and rescue services
The installation of sprinklers plays a holistic approach of fire safety measures, in reducing the impact of fire on people property and the environment. They also restrict fire development assisting firefighters in carrying out search and rescue operations.
Further information regarding this incident, commercial sprinklers, click the links below
- British Automatic Fire Sprinkler Association, Information file publications
- Retail 4
- FAQs Industrial Commercial Sprinkler Systems 6b
- London Fire Brigade press release