- This event has passed.
Sheffield Shopping Centre Sprinkler Activation
March 3 @ 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm
Image credit South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service
- Fire Rescue Service; South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service (SYFRS)
- Incident; Fire
- When; 3 March 2023
- Time of call; 14:30
- Where, Sheffield
- Occupancy; Commercial retail shopping centre
- Automatic fire suppression System; Commercial sprinkler system
South Yorkshire Fire& Rescue Service have reported the following incident involving a fire within a multi-use shopping centre containing retail units, restaurants, and screen cinema.
- On arrival operational crews identified that a fire within a public toilet cubicle had been extinguished by the activation of 1 sprinkler head.
- No further firefighting was required by SYFRS.
- It was established that the cause of the fire was a malicious act.
- Fire/smoke, damage was contained to the compartment of origin.
- No injuries were reported.
Importance of Management
It should be remembered sprinklers control the size of the fire, reduce the amount of smoke produced. In shopping centres, it is common practice to protect the commercial unit/shop with sprinklers to control the fire size. Sprinklers are not installed in the malls to prevent overcooling of the smoke, and the risk of wet slippery surfaces on escape routes.
Shopping centres are one of the most complex buildings that often include a variety of uses within the complex, leisure areas, hotels, apartments, cinemas, and offices. Therefore, require a high standard of management compared to other building uses.
Management is key ensuring the premises fire safety systems are operable in the event of a fire including sprinklers, fire alarm system, dry/wet risers, smoke extraction units and fire curtains.
To highlight this, London Fire Brigade published an open letter in 2020, to those responsible for fire safety in shopping centres. Highlighting the importance of maintaining fire safety systems including the premises sprinkler system.
Business Continuity, the inclusion of fire sprinklers
- Prevent major financial and equipment losses for UK Businesses
- Offer business owners technology which reduces risk to life and degree of damage caused in the event of a fire
- Increase resilience to fire incidents controlling/extinguishing a fire before the arrival of the FRS
- Reduce the impact from fire on business allowing the business to be back up and running within a short period of time.
- BAFSA, Sprinkler Saves Annual Review
- BAFSA Information file number 4, Retail
- LFB; Open letter to shopping centre managers