- This event has passed.
Greenwich Balcony Fire Sprinkler Activation
1 May 2022 @ 8:00 am - 9:13 pm
- Fire Rescue Service; London Fire Brigade (LFB)
- Number of fire appliances; 8 pumps
- Location: River Gardens Walk, Greenwich.
- Date of incident ;1 May 2022
- Time of call: 08:05
- Incident; Fire
- Location of fire; external roof terrace
- Ignition source; Careless disposal of smoking materials
- Property type: Purpose built Flat 10 or more stories
- Automatic fire suppression system; Sprinklers
The benefits of sprinklers clearly demonstrated once again involving a external balcony/roof terrace fire.
- 50% of a balcony and a flat on the 10th floor damaged by fire
- Due to the intensity of the fire, the glazing of the bedroom window adjacent to the fire failed allowing the fire to spread internally
- 1 x fire sprinkler head actuated controlling/containing the spread of the fire
- Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the flat and extinguished the fire on the roof terrace using a main jet
- Two women left the flat before crews arrived.
- The fire was under control by 09:13
Benefits of sprinklers
- Flash over prevented in the flat
- Fire contained/controlled
- There were no reports of any injuries
- No injuries to firefighters
- Clear benefits for the environment
This is not the first or last incident where the fire has spread from an external balcony to the adjacent flat.
LFB West Hampstead Balcony Fire Report
- LFB published a report following a fire that occurred in the balcony fire at West Hampstead on 3 July 2018
- Involving the actuation of multiple nozzle heads to raise awareness in the residential sector of the beneficial/effectiveness impact that incorporating Automatic Fire Suppression Systems can have in a multi-point residential high-rise fire.
- This report clearly identifies the benefits of sprinklers
- British Automatic Fire Sprinkler Association. Incident data report focus on sprinklers
- London Fire Brigade; West Hampstead Balcony Fire
- London Fire Brigade press release