- This event has passed.
Two fires on identical days with two different outcomes, sprinkler activation South Wales
20 November 2022 @ 6:28 am - 6:47 pm
- Fire Rescue Service; South Wales Fire Rescue Service (SWFRS)
- Incident; Fire
- When; 20 November 2022
- Time of call; 06:28
- Time of Stop; 06:47
- Where; Ebbw Vale
- Use of premises; Single private dwelling
- Height of building; 2 Storeys
- Fixed installation; Automatic fire suppression system (AFSS)
SWFRS have reported the above-mentioned incident resulting in the activation of the premises domestic sprinkler.
- New purpose-built residential dwelling
- Part of a development involving the construction of new 70 homes consisting of two- three- and four-bedroom homes.
- Benefiting from the installation of a domestic sprinkler system due to the decision taken in October 2013, The National Assembly for Wales passing new Building Regulations that require automatic fire suppression system to be installed in new and converted homes in Wales.
- Unlike Wales, sprinklers are not mandatory for new and converted homes in England,
- In England, for life safety, new residential blocks over 11m must be fitted with sprinklers to meet statutory guidance
- SWFRS were called to a domestic fire within the rear first floor bedroom of a detached dwelling of two floors.
- On arrival operational crews established that the fire had been extinguished by the actuation of the premises sprinkler residential system.
- The cause of the fire involved smoking materials
- All persons were accounted for with no injuries reported.
- Resources deployed by SWFRS
- 2x Breathing Apparatus wearers, hose reel Jet, Thermal Image Camera
- From time of call to the stop message sent by the Officer in Charge the incident was closed within 29 minutes
- The fire was contained to the compartment of origin
When compared to a similar incident in London where sprinklers were not fitted, the benefits of sprinklers can clearly be seen from the Welsh sprinkler activation
- Date of Incident: 20 November 2022
- Fire Rescue Service LFB
- New South Gate
- Time of call: 23:26
- Time of stop: 00:54
- From time of call to the stop message sent by the Officer in Charge the incident was closed within 80 minutes
- Premises, end of terrace house of two floors
- LFB Resources, 4x Fire Appliances, 25 Firefighters
- First and second floors damaged by fire