- This event has passed.
London, Hotel Sprinkler Activation
11 June 2022 @ 6:37 pm - 7:35 pm
- Fire & Rescue Service; London Fire Brigade (LFB)
- Date of incident: 11/06/2022
- Time of Call 18:37
- Premise type: Hotel of 7 Storeys, 3 basement levels
- Type of Incident: Fire
- Location of Fire; Basement
- Automatic Fire Suppression System; Sprinklers
LFB have reported the above-mentioned fire involving a fire located in the basement of the premises.
- 4 fire pumping appliances, were mobilised from fire stations located in the city of London
- 25 Firefighters were required to deal with the incident
- The premises implemented its emergency action plan (EAFP) resulting in over 700 guests/staff evacuating the premises
- The seat of the fire involved stacked towels in the basement corridor of the spa area
- Cause of the fire is believed to have been accidental, caused by self-heating towels
- 2 Sprinkler heads actuated extinguishing the fire before the arrival of the LFB
- Time of stop 19:35
Benefits of the commercial sprinkler System
- No injuries were reported
- The sprinkler system was interfaced with the fire detection, fire alarm system, the benefit of which allowed.
- The LFB to be alerted, mobilised.
- The premises to implement their EAFP allowing their occupants to safely evacuate the building.
- Fire was extinguished, contained to compartment of origin
- Minimal disruption sustained to the hotel, allowing the business to resume operations quickly within an hour of the incident
- Potential major fire prevented, reducing costs to business by limiting fire damage
This incident proves once again the installation of a sprinkler system prevents major financial losses ensuring that if a fire occurs it is only a minor inconvenience.
Two fires two different outcomes
- When you compare this incident to a hotel fire in Willenhall, West Midlands reported by the Business Sprinkler alliance where sprinklers were not fitted,
- The outcome.
- 10 pumping fire appliances requiring 60 firefighters to extinguish the fire
- Guests had to be relocated to alternative accommodation
- Incident commander Dave Hodgkins said: “The building has been completely gutted out by the fire. “We managed to save a small part of it when the fire was spreading, but the affected areas have been completely destroyed.”