- This event has passed.
London High Rise Fire Sprinkler Activation, Reinforces The Findings of The Fire Sprinklers Greater London Review 2018-2021
- Fire Rescue Service; London Fire Brigade (LFB)
- Incident; Tall building Fire
- When; 11/04/2023
- Time of call; 14:51
- Where, Croydon
- Type of Premises; Block of Flats
- Automatic fire suppression System; BS9251
LFB have reported the above-mentioned incident resulting in the activation of the premises residential sprinkler system. The premises, 14-storey building formally used for offices, converted into a residential building containing 404 flats.
Reinforcing the fire data contained within a new BAFSA publication that focuses on incidents in Greater London where fire sprinklers have assisted to protect our communities from fire. Fire Sprinklers Greater London Review 2018-2021 provides powerful evidence of the role sprinklers play, as part of an appropriate package of fire safety measures, in reducing the impact of fire on people property and the environment.
The review is broken down into three key areas.
- Interrogating fire trends in Greater London for the period 2018-2021, reference to the fire data sets captured by the Incident Recording System
- Overview of fire data sets for the same period where sprinklers were recorded as being present in three key property types.
- Collection of Sprinkler save case studies reported to sprinkler saves uk
- At 14:51, LFB mobilised fire appliances to a flat fire.
- On arrival operational crews identified a kitchen fire within a flat
- Extinguished by the activation of 1 sprinkler head installed in the room of origin
- No further firefighting was required.
- Fire spread was limited to item first ignited involving chip pan/deep fat fryer.
Fire Safety Arrangements
- Firefighting shafts
- Firefighting lift
- Residential sprinkler system
- Dry rising main
- BS5839-6 Grade D LD1 provided within the flats.
- Automatic opening vents located within the stair cores.
This incident clearly indicates once again the benefits of installing a residential tall building with sprinklers. Rapidly reducing the rate of production of heat and smoke allowing the fire officer crucial time to implement the operational tactical plan.
- Allowing firefighters in carrying out search and rescue operations by limiting fire development, which significantly reduces the risks to firefighters.
- Integrity of the means of escape, maintained.
- Fire contained within the compartment of origin.
- British Automatic Fire Sprinkler Association, Sprinkler Saves Annual Review 2021/22
- Fire Sprinklers Greater London Review 2018-2021