- This event has passed.
London Community Special School Fire Sprinkler Activation
- Fire Rescue Service; London Fire Brigade
- Incident; Fire
- When; 3 May 2023
- Time of call; 14:44
- Where: Lambeth
- Occupancy: School,
LFB have reported the following educational fire resulting in the school commercial sprinkler system activating, extinguishing the fire before the arrival of operational crews
The premises is a purpose-built school building constructed in 2013 accommodating up to 110 pupils to meet the need of pupils with special educational needs and disabilities including sensory rooms, soft playrooms, hydrotherapy pool.
- Fire crews were mobilised to a fire involving an electrical appliance.
- On arrival, LFB identified that a small fire was: –
Contained and extinguished by the activation of one sprinkler head.
- Limiting the fire to the item first ignited with fire damage up to 5sqm
- No further firefighting was required by the LFB.
- No injuries were reported.
- The cause of the fire is currently under investigation.
From April 2022 Sprinkler Saves Uk have reported a further seven educational building fires. Which have either contained/controlled or extinguished the fire highlighting the benefits of sprinklers for schools.
Legislation, did you know it is mandatory for all new schools in Scotland & centrally funded schools in Wales to be fitted with sprinklers.
This is not the case for England, current guidance when first released in 2007, acknowledged the important role of sprinklers and stated that “all new schools should have fire sprinklers installed except in a few low-risk schools”.
Unfortunately, it is possible for designers and developers to circumvent the installation of sprinklers but still improve areas by using other building design guidance. The outcome is new- built schools without fire sprinklers being installed.
Did you know 219 primary and secondary schools were damaged by fire in 2021/22 in England which is an 35% increase from 2020/21.
BAFSA have published the following article clearly explaining why schools need sprinklers. Explaining how sprinklers can minimise not just the building devastation but also the human suffering that a fire can inflict.
- Sprinkler Saves Review 2022/2023
- Greater London Sprinkler Review 2018-2021
- BAFSA, why sprinklers need schools
- BAFSA Fire Data Report No 5 Fire Incident Data Report Educational Buildings