- This event has passed.
Isle of Dogs High Rise Flat Sprinkler Save
17 August 2021 @ 1:30 pm - 2:37 pm
On the 17 August, 14:03 pm, London Fire Brigade (LFB) were called to a high rise residential flat fire on the 37th floor on Marsh Wall in the Isle of Dogs.
Two residential sprinkler heads operated containing the fire and limiting its impact with fire damage limited to a small part of the flat. Operational crews were able to identify and locate the sprinkler isolation valve minimising water egress, a key aspect of business continuity where automatic suppression systems are installed.
Fire crews from Poplar, Shadwell, Bethnal Green and Plaistow attended the incident. The fire was under control by 14:37pm.
The cause of the fire is believed to be unattended candle
Tower Hamlets Borough Commander Richard Tapp said:
“The sprinkler suppression system made a big difference in containing the fire and limiting its impact.
“A number of people evacuated from the fire floor before firefighters arrived. Other residents remained in their unaffected flats. The firefighters that attended worked quickly and the vast majority of residents were back inside their flats within an hour of the first call.
“Sprinklers are the only fire safety system that detects a fire, suppresses a fire and raises the alarm.
“They save lives and protect property and they are especially important where there are vulnerable residents who would find it difficult to escape, like those with mobility problems.”
New Providence Wharf fire
It should be noted that on May 7th, LFB attended a high rise residential fire at New Providence Wharf which started in a consumer unit in an 8th floor flat. Residential sprinklers were not fitted.
The fire proceeded to travel out of an open balcony window. At the same time smoke poured into the corridor through a flat door that had accidentally been kept open
Would the outcome of been different if sprinklers had been fitted suppressing the fire before the arrival of the fire service?
A report has been released by the LFB identifying a serious failure of a smoke ventilation system that resulted in the building acting like a “broken chimney” left residents’ only escape route smoke logged.