- This event has passed.
6 July 2020
Afire broke out in the kitchen in a high-rise block owned by Southampton City Council on 3rd July. It was successfully suppressed by the sprinkler system with minimal damage. The Fire & Rescue Service attended with multiple units but had little to do but check that the fire was fully extinguished.
Without the sprinkler activation the fire would have engulfed the whole flat before the Fire & Rescue Service arrived on the scene.
The flat, along with the others in the block, and all other blocks in the city, has benefitted from a range of fire safety works in addition to the sprinkler system. Southampton City Council take resident safety seriously and the 3 high-rise fires over the last 12 months effectively controlled by the sprinkler system and other fire safety measures are a testament to this.