- This event has passed.
City of London Market Commercial Sprinkler Activation
14 December 2022 @ 6:15 pm - 7:18 pm
- Fire Rescue Service; London Fire Brigade
- Incident; Fire
- When; 14 December 2022
- Where, City of London
- Time of call: 18:15
- Time of Stop: 19:18
- Use of premises; Market
- Location of incident: Refrigeration Unit
- Fixed installation; Automatic fire suppression system (AFSS)
London Fire Brigade have reported the above-mentioned 4 pump fire involving a fire within an operational meat market housing a range of stalls and shops resulting in the loss of 3 tonnes of meat within a refrigeration unit. (15 Pig Carcasses)
The benefits of installing a commercial sprinkler system for business continuity/life safety is clearly demonstrated following this incident which took place at one of the busiest trading periods of the year.
- The fire was extinguished, contained/controlled within the ceiling of the refrigeration unit
- The fire did not spread from compartment of origin
- No injuries were reported
A relatively small fire was extinguished by the activation of the commercial sprinkler system, resulting in only a minor inconvenience for the tenants/businesses associated within the market. The market reopened the same evening from midnight with only one shop unit closed due to the fire.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Sprinklers are the only fire safety system that detects a fire, suppresses a fire and raises the alarm. “They save lives and protect property and they are especially important where there are vulnerable residents who would find it difficult to escape, like those with mobility problems.”
The Business Sprinkler Alliance, report that fire is the leading cause of commercial property loss, with the Association of British Insurers (ABI) noting Uk business with fire property claims of £940 million in 2018. It is why risk-aware businesses understand the importance of physical resilience and recognise the need for effective methods to protect their property. The effective method to do this is through the use of an appropriately designed and installed sprinkler system.
- Evidence clearly show that automatic fire sprinklers prevent large fires because they activate automatically following a fire
- Controlling or even extinguishing the blaze before the Fire and Rescue Service arrives.
- They therefore save lives and protect firefighters who attend incidents
- They also prevent significant damage or destruction of a building by fire.
- Currently, automatic fire sprinklers are not widely used in the UK because the guidance rarely prescribes their use.
So when are sprinklers required ?
Credit/image Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service
- BAFSA, Sprinkler Saves Annual Review 2021/22
- LFB Press Release
- Business Sprinkler Alliance, sprinkler activation saves leisure facility
- Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service, When are sprinklers required