- This event has passed.
Sprinkler System Tall Building Activation Lambeth
Image credit LFB
- Date of incident; 5 November 2023
- Time of call 18:11
- Time of stop 20:00
- Location; Milbank, London
- Use of building; Residential Block of Flats
- Location of fire; Flat
- Automatic Fire Suppression System; Residential Sprinklers
- Fire Rescue Service; London Fire Brigade (LFB)
LFB have reported the above-mentioned incident that demonstrates once again the benefits of sprinklers for residential accommodation.
- Five appliances were mobilised requiring 35 firefighters form Lambeth, Soho, and Clapham fire stations.
- The alarm was raised following the activation of the premises sprinkler system.
- On arrival it was established that the fire was within a flat on the fourth floor of a nine-storey building which had been contained within the flat by the sprinkler system
- The fire was extinguished by crew using firefighting media.
- The cause of the fire was due to a defective washer dryer.
- No injuries were reported.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “The numbers of buildings in London with sprinklers systems are still very low and we would like to see this increase. Automatic Fire Suppression Systems, like sprinklers, alongside other fire safety measures can greatly reduce the impact of fires on people, property, homes, and communities.
“Sprinklers are not a luxury – they save lives and also reduce risk to the firefighters who have to tackle the fires.”
It should be remembered the installation of a life safety AFSS is to reduce the rate of heat and smoke, allowing more time for the occupants to escape to safety or be rescued, The provision of a sprinkler system does not neglect the need for other fire practical precautions or provisions where the person is at higher-than-average risk from fire, unable to self-evacuate in the event of a fire.